(Due to firewall troubles with the old - or should I say month old - PC, I am seriously delayed on my "Took" post. So delayed in fact that I had watched it moments after my last post, and now - a week and the next episode watched later - I'm going to try and write about it. Bad idea. So some quick thoughts and then I'll move on.)
As the episode begins with the latest trick out of McNulty/Lester's sleeve, we see the real and disastrous impact of this lie. It's written all over Sydnor's contemplative face as he surveys legions of patrol cops - aided by helicopters - respond to McNulty's fake call to Templeton. There is a sense that this is bubbling over.
The latest play has landed McNulty with the full attention of the mayor, BPD, and the newspaper. (The dueling briefings between the BPD and Sun were great.) The feeling I got from this episode can be wrapped up in one word: "unglued."
Even Templeton's lies are starting to number so high to track fully, as we watch Haynes step past Det. Munch (cameo by Richard Belzer) to do some follow up investigation with Mello regarding Templeton's explanation on his correction from a prior story. Hayne's is sniffing out Templeton's lies. (I firmly do believe that the creator's named him Templeton after the rat in Charlotte's Web as pointed out by THND's Andrew Johnston.)
Senator Clay Davis, seeking the influence of Pro-mith-us and the counsel of Billy Murphy (actual Baltimore lawyer), watches Bond and Pearlman become unglued with his OJ-like performance in front of the Baltimore city jury. "They don't teach that shit in law school."
And finally, Omar, seems to be breaking form. The cameos continue with Sevino's return, and early demise at the hands of the ghetto Batman. His warpath continues as he interrogates Michael on his corner, again mirroring the heat Michael is getting from Bunk and the Homicide unit regarding the murder of Bug's dad.
This episode was not with out it's gray beams of hope though. The scene with the young reporter and Bubbles was understated and perfect. Bubbles finds his way to be useful and insightful - this time telling a story, not "snitching" and for free of charge. And finally, Kima's "Goodnight Moon" scene at the end of the episode felt like a nap in the middle of a hectic work week. Just to stop and breathe. The air may not be pleasant, but it's time to rest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment